(NAPSA)-A growing number of men are enjoying a lifestyle that focuses on a diet built around nutritious, whole foods. Here are some tips to help you get started.
- Go with fresh vegetables when possible. They tend to be full of vitamins and low in calories. As a bonus, they can help you meet your daily fiber target.
- Keep your alcohol intake moderate. Too much alcohol can mean added sugar and filling your liver with toxins. For men, limit your intake to two drinks a day.
- Make your grains whole grains. Eating three or more servings of whole grains each day can help you achieve a healthy diet. Also, when possible, choose brown rice over white rice.
- Try eating five to six small meals throughout the day. This helps to prevent you from skipping meals and overeating. It also supports steady energy levels. Many find the best way to do this is with three main meals and three substantial snacks.
- Don’t forget exercise and rest. According to the Centers for Disease Control, adults ages 18 and over (including older adults) need at least 21/2 hours of moderate aerobic activity each week and muscle-strengthening exercises twice a week.
Quality sleep-seven to eight hours a night for adults-is also important. It aids in the ability to process information, restore your body’s strength and repair muscles.
- Snack smart. Don’t overlook convenience as a factor when it comes to constructing a healthy diet. Foods or products that contribute the nutrients needed and are easy and enjoyable to consume have a better chance of being part of a man’s diet over the long haul.
For example, there is a line of food bars called LARABAR made with “whole food” ingredients such as nuts and dried fruit and seasoned with spices. The Original Fruit & Nut Bar™ contains no more than nine ingredients and no trans fats or preservatives. The ingredients in the “Apple Pie” bar consist of dates, almonds, unsweetened apples, walnuts, raisins and cinnamon.
Plus, the bars come in a wide variety of flavors-from Blueberry Muffin to Peanut Butter Cookie or Chocolate Coconut Chew to Key Lime Pie-so there is something to satisfy just about any taste.
To learn more, visit www.larabar.com.